Labyrinthitis is a condition that promotes inflammation in the inner ear or the nerves. It promotes hearing loss, dizziness, and a spinning sensation. But it is curable easily with some therapy and medication. Also, you can cure it at home by adopting some habits in your daily life. So, here are the 10 ways that can be helpful to treat labyrinthitis at home. Let’s have a look at these.
10 Treatments for Labyrinthitis At Home!
1. Perform Epley Maneuver at Home
You can relieve Labyrinthitis smoothly, starting with the strategy, Epley maneuver, also called Canalith repositioning maneuver. It can be helpful to cure labyrinthitis at home. Just follow the proper process shared as follows:
- Sit on a flat surface, put the pillow behind you, and lay down, keeping it under your neck.
- Turn your head at 45 degrees, keep your head still, and lean back on the pillow.
- Stay for 30 seconds in the same position, then turn to 90 degrees left without lifting your neck.
- Turn your entire body to the left side, then slowly sit looking forward and sit back to your original position.
2. Semont-Toupet Maneuver
Many studies have shown that the Semont-Toupet maneuver is as effective as others in treating labyrinthitis at home. Here’s the proper process required to follow:
- Start with the same process of using the pillow and sitting straight on a flat surface.
- Lean back on the pillow, turn the right side with your entire body and look at your left side means look upward.
- Now, changing your side from right to left quickly and turning your face to the left means looking down toward the ground.
- Slowly sit straight, looking forward, and return to your original position.
3. Brandt-Daroff Exercise
Brandt-Daroff routine is a simple and easy to do unsupervised exercise. You should perform this exercise in a safe place and when you are not going to do any activity after it. Moreover, it may provoke dizziness for a short time. Here is a complete process to do it.
- Sit on the edge of the bed or couch, keeping your legs touching the floor.
- Turn your head to the left and lean on your right side for 30 seconds, folding your legs up.
- Come back to your original position with a straight head.
- Now, repeat the same practice to the right. Lay down for 30 seconds and repeat the same exercise 5 times on every side.
4. Ginkgo Biloba
Labyrinthitis can be treated with Ginkgo biloba when taken by mouth. A daily 240 mg dose of Ginkgo biloba is as effective as any leading prescribed medication for labyrinthitis. It is available in both capsule and liquid form that can be helpful to lessen your symptoms and better balance.
5. Stress Management
Stress can lead you to various physical and mental health issues & one of them is labyrinthitis. You need to know what causes stress and create better strategies to manage it. In the beginning, practice meditation and deep-breathing techniques to cut out the daily life stress from your body and mind. Also, you can start concentrating on your diet and connecting with others. Making friends and sharing your thoughts with them can be helpful in throwing your worries out.
6. Yoga & Tai Chi
You can do some yoga and tai chi to cut out your stress and treat labyrinthitis at home, as well as increase flexibility and balance. Moreover, you can start with simple yoga poses in order to avoid any side effects. You can try some Child’s Pose and Corpse Pose when you feel dizzy and see if it works. But be cautious! Do not try yoga or tai chi poses that require sudden forward bending. It may instead make the symptoms of labyrinthitis stronger.
7. Adequate Amount Of Sleep
You have to concentrate on your sleep in order to trigger & treat labyrinthitis at home. Take a sufficient amount of sleep at night, at least 8 hrs, and try to take a nap in the middle of the day. You can resolve your feeling of labyrinthitis by taking a break from your work for a nap. A 30 – 40 minute rest will be sufficient to treat the symptoms at home.
Dehydration can also be a significant cause of labyrinthitis. That’s why it is necessary to control your sodium intake & drink plenty of water throughout the day. You need to monitor your water intake and increase it on hot and humid days. If you forget to drink water when you work, just set alarms or use an app to remind you. Maintaining your water intake will reduce vertigo episodes and symptoms.
9. Vitamin D
You may examine whether your nutrition intake also affects your labyrinthitis symptoms. As per the studies, lack of vitamin D in the body can cause vertigo episodes and even worsen the condition of patients suffering from BPPV. So, it is essential you get checked and increase the vitamin D in your daily dose as per your doctor’s recommendation. You can add supplements or eat more food with vitamin D, such as fortified milk, orange juice, canned tuna, and even egg yolks.
10. Avoiding Alcohol
Alcohol can change the composition of the fluid in your ear and affect your balance even when you’re sober. Also, it dehydrates you and can promote more vertigo episodes. So, just cutting alcohol from your life can be helpful to treat labyrinthitis at home.
So, these are the various expert suggested remedies that can be helpful to treat labyrinthitis at home efficiently. But still, if you face difficulty, you must consult a doctor. Hope, you will find this article beneficial to get various ways in order to treat labyrinthitis at home.